If you’re looking for instructions on how to apply themes, you’re in the right place. I made this little How-To guide for applying icon packs for newcomers to the Android theme world. Here are the steps involved.
Grab a launcher
If your stock launcher doesn’t support icon packs, you’ll need a third-party launcher. Launchers are key to unlocking a ton of personalization tweaks that you don’t get with your stock interface. I recommend Nova Launcher, but there are a plethora of great ones and it’s hard to go wrong with any of the popular launchers on the play store.
Here’s a list of popular launchers that support icon packs:
Grab a theme.
There are TONS available on the Play Store. Choose wisely.
Get my Android themes here:
Apply the theme via an Icon Pack or your Launcher
There are a couple of ways to do this. Through the Icon Pack app, or through your launcher’s settings.
Applying through the Icon Pack:
Most themes these days have in-app options for applying your theme. Once inside the icon pack app, navigate to the “Apply” screen and select your launcher. Here’s an example using Lines Icon Pack:
Applying through your launcher’s settings:
I’m using Nova Launcher for these, but the others are very similar. The option to apply an icon pack are usually in Settings>Display, Home Screen, Theme, Personalization, etc>Icon Pack.
1. Press & Hold on an empty spot on your home screen.
2. Tap settings. You can also edit wallpaper, Live wallpapers and add widgets from this screen.
3. Look for “Display,” “Look & Feel,” “Personalization,” “Theme,” etc. This will vary depending on the launcher.
4. Look for Icon pack or theme options. In Nova, it’s called “Icon Theme.” This section can take a few seconds to load depending on your device.
5. Choose from your installed themes!
If you have any questions feel free to email me at email@example.com and I’ll do my best to answer them. If you’d like to see how to change your status bar and navigation bar icon colors keep reading!
Manually Edit an Icon
In some cases, you may want to edit an icon’s appearance, either because there’s an alternative version you prefer, or because the icon hasn’t been themed by the developer. To manually edit a single icon follow these steps:
1. Press + hold on the icon you want to edit. Most launchers give you an “edit” popup with options for that icon. For this example, I’m using Nova Launcher.
2. Tap the “Edit” option that pops up
3. Tap the current icon to edit its appearance.
4. Choose a theme to pick a new icon. This section can take a few seconds to load depending on your device.
5. Choose a replacement in the list of icons. You can also use the arrow icon on the top right to open the selected icon pack app to search for a specific icon.
6. Tap “Done” to save your changes.
The new icon will now be applied to your home screen! Note that some launchers let you edit icons for your app drawer as well. The same steps are involved for changing app drawer icons.